So excited to be in St Louis for WordCamp 2018 and speaking about Advanced Custom Fields. At past WordCamps the ACF talks have always been for non-coders. ACF is a great plugin for everyone to extend their web sites, but if you are a coder you can really do some amazing things. I’ve only got roughly 45 to 50 minutes and a lot to cover, so I will assume those attending have used ACF previously and know at least some rudimentary PHP coding a WordPress plugin development. I’m not going to go into any detail on exactly what ACF is or demonstrate any of the usual stuff.
What I plan to cover is:
- Addons to improve ACF functionality for performance.
- Making fields READ-ONLY.
- Validating Form Data.
- Dynamically populating a <SELECT> form field.
- Using jQuery to enhance ACF forms.
- Adding ACF forms to the front end of your web site.
This will be a live demonstration and not a slide-show presentation. I will be using ACF:Pro, but my code will work with the free version as well.
For access to the code, please visit my Github repository at
- Advanced Custom Fields – https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/
- ACF to REST API – https://wordpress.org/plugins/acf-to-rest-api/
- ACF Option Pages – https://wordpress.org/plugins/acf-option-pages/
- Admin Columns – https://www.admincolumns.com/
- Custom Post Type UI – https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-post-type-ui/
This is a great article on storing Custom Field Data in a custom table instead of Post Meta which can speed things up by up to 30 times when accessing data.